12 January 2011

To be a runner or not....

I walked my first half marathon last year - The VA Beach Shamrock Half in March 2010. It was sort of on a lark. A few friends from church had decided to go (they are "real" runners) and one of the wives doesn't run, but was going to walk... she asked if I would walk with her... "sure I will" I said- and then realised that yes- that is over 13 MILES... I was 50 pounds more than I wanted to be- hadn't REALLY worked out seriously in years -- but I do like to walk and hike...

I found a training plan and from November to March trained (not all the time, but most of it)...

We walked it in 3.34.. Could have been a little faster but I cramped up in my left calf from miles 9-11 then it just ached... But the experience- AWESOME! EVERY person out there was awesome- the people you walked past that chatted with you as you walked, the people cheering on the sides; the hysterical TNT banana, gorilla, etc... The most amazing thing to me was when we were at about mile 11 or 12 - I am thinking -- good grief I should not have skipped out on some of those longer walk (I did do my 10 miler though!) -- and the marathoners started running by - you know the people that were going to run TWICE what i was WALKING... they were already at mile 15 or so - I was at mile 11.5 -- AND THEY were cheering US on as they ran by!!!! Holy cow!! What awesome camaraderie! It blew me away.. It was about that point- at the same point I was wondering why on earth I decided to do this- that I started thinking about becoming a runner.. I wanted to belong to this group of people - that cheered for strangers- that cheered for newbies and walkers the same way they cheered for the dude that ran 26.2 miles in less than I walked 13.1!!

Over the last 10 months I have thought about it- started running, stopped running, started again - had my first asthma attack ever- got scared - stopped... Half way started again but not with the same commitment I trained for that walking half...

Now it is time again- the same group (this time with two less runners as we will have two newborns going with us) are going again. I put off signing up for the half again- (money worries and being nervous that I couldn't run it) until it was too late..
But there is a Shamrock 8K... I think I could do that.. I could run that smaller race- have a smaller goal to learn to run (NOT WALK) that smaller distance... Still participate in the weekend, still get a goody bag, still have a weekend away.. I think I could do that.
I have to decide soon before THAT race fills...



The Early Year Races I am thinking about doing this year:

12-14 Feb 2010Virtual LUV Day Run (World Day run)
- Just to get myself a mini goal in Feb

13 March 2011 Baltimore St Patty's

19 March 2011 Shamrock 8K

2 April 2011 Frederick Wild Women 8K

13 April 2011 - Main Street Mile with munchkin

1 May 2011 - Gettysburg North/South relay
*if I can get a team together

7 May Flower and Jazz 5k


Hopefully having a plan and races to look forward to will help me!

Now I just have to eat better! Baby steps!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I left you a comment on my blog, but if you want to hear more about my upcoming running ministry feel free to email me at amandaiscooking@sbcglobal.net I'll share what's coming in the next couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shamrock 8K would be a SUPER way to get into running. A completely doable distance, you'll have fun. You will never "regret" going for a run, I promise.

    ReplyDelete